It is currently 27. Jan 2021, 15:11

Certain sections of the forum contain exclusive material, only reserved for members:

DON JOHNSON:

INTERVIEWS
FAMIILY MATTERS
HOT CREAM PIES
NEWS
MYSTERY CORNER
LOBBY LOUNGE
MEMBER STORIES

Remember - it is FREE to register!

So, why not jump on board!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
AuthorMessage
 Post subject: DJAngel attends SWEET HEARTS DANCE Premiere 1988
PostPosted: 16. Nov 2012, 08:49 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

DJAngel & FRIENDS ATTEND 'SWEET HEARTS DANCE' PREMIERE - SEPTEMBER 1988

ONCE MORE WE HAVE THE PLEASURE OF SHARING WITH YOU ANOTHER OF DJAngel's AMAZING TRIPS TO VISIT DON JOHNSON, THIS TIME FOR THE PREMIERE OF 'SWEET HEARTS DANCE'

In DJAngel's own words >>>

I read in USA Today that there would be a special benefit premiere of Sweet Hearts Dance in Los Angeles on Sunday, September 18th, with Don Johnson and Barbra Streisand scheduled to attend. After some fast phone calls, we federal expressed our money to the Tri-Star office in LA for tickets to the premiere and party. $75 for the movie and party to benefit Make-A-Wish Foundation. We drove to LA on Saturday.

We arrived at the AVCO Theatre in Westwood at 5:00 pm on Sunday. The movie was scheduled to start at 7:00 pm. The party was to be held behind the theatre after the movie. When we arrived; the people from Tri-Star were busy preparing for the premiere. The red carpet was being rolled out and lighting was set up. The photographers were finding their spots behind the roped off area, which turned out to be a joke because when the stars began arriving, the photographers began moving inside the rope. In the parking lot behind the theatre, preparations were being made for the party. White tables and chairs were being set up and at the far end at one of the bar areas, a sign was hanging that said Sweet Hearts Dance. More photographers arrived and people were stopping to find out what was happening. It was becoming quite crowded, and it was obvious we were going to have trouble seeing anyone. There was a tree perched on a stone base next to the walkway, which I decided was a better vantage point. Now I was standing above the paparazzi. The people attending the premiere started arriving about 6:30 pm.

Justine Bateman and Leif Garrett were among the first to arrive, and were very accommodating to the photographers.

(Above): Then Scott Valentine and his wife.

Then came Michael Des Barres with Carrie Hamilton, Pattie D’Arbanville with some unknown guy, Meg Tilly, and Marlee Matlin, to name a few. Elizabeth Perkins arrived and was the only other member of the cast who attended besides Don.

Michael Des Barres with Carrie Hamilton

Pattie d'Arbanville

It was 7:00 pm, but no Don and Barbra yet. The theatre was surely packed by now, and we were concerned about where we would be sitting at the last minute. Finally at 7:20 pm the gray limo pulled up to the curb, and Don and Barbra got out. Flashbulbs went off like the 4th of July! Photographers surged toward Don and Barbra, and I was glad I was perched on the stone wall. They slowly worked their way to the theatre entrance. The photographers yelled, “Hi, Don – over here, please.” “Hello, Barbra”, and they would stop and pose.

We ended up sitting almost directly across from them on the left hand section, about 5 rows from the back. They were in the middle section. This is not bad watching the movie with Don & Barbra. The crowd was enthusiastic from the very beginning of the movie. It made the movie even more enjoyable, as the crowd responded a lot to the comedy and serious moments in the movie. When the movie ended, the crowd cheered and clapped. Don & Barbra left as the credits started rolling. We made our way outside and into the party.

As we entered the party area, the music was playing, and it was already crowded. There was a DJ playing records—songs from the movie, and some current popular songs. Behind the DJ were bleachers set up. At the entrance there was a basketball hoop.

We walked around to see the decorations, and noticed some of the stars coming in. Don and Barbra were not there yet. Marlee Matlin was dressed in jeans and t-shirt with a leather jacket. We were surprised to see William Russ. We asked him what he had been doing, and he said he had been on Wise Guy, and “a lot of fishing.”

Tri-Star did a great transformation of the parking lot. There were themes from the movie in each corner – Halloween, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. We spotted several reserved tables, one with Don’s name on it. After about 15 minutes, I looked towards the entrance and noticed the photographers all facing the walkway which led into the party. We made our way back to the entrance, and just as we got there, Don and Barbra were walking hand in hand to the entrance. As they entered the party, we greeted them and shook hands with Don. He looked like he was ready to party! They slowly made their way through the crowd and sat down at the table with Don’s name on it. Patti D’Arbanville and Barbra’s sister were also at his table. Barbra’s sister left, and Michael Des Barres and Carrie Hamilton sat down. Don stood most of the evening because the few times he did sit down, someone came by to talk to him. The photographers were glued to Don’s table. A few times, Don and Barbra stood together to have their pictures taken, and they were always gracious to the photographers.

Once when Don was standing, I said “Hi”, and he held out his hand to shake, and I said, “The movie is wonderful, Don. Good Luck.” He had the warmest smile, and he said “Thanks.”

Don and Barbra left the party after about 1 hour, 20 minutes. Photographers followed them to their limo. For souvenirs, we took some the red carnations from the tables, and a few of the balloons. Great Party!

DJAngel and friends at the Premiere

Elizabeth Perkins arriving

Marlee Matlin arriving

B E S T W I S H E S
Make-A-Wish Foundation of Los Angeles

DECEMBER 1988

Sweet Hearts Dance

It was truly a Hollywood-style event. The stars came out in full force not only to view the world premier of Sweet Hearts Dance, but also in support of the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

Tri-Star Pictures sponsored the gala event with all proceeds benefiting the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Los Angeles.

Held at the Avco Theatre in West-Hollywood on September 18, the movie stared Don Johnson, Susan Sarandon, Elizabeth Perkins and Jeff Daniels.

Following the screening a theme buffet for those purchasing special tickets was held. The theatre ws filled to capacity and it is estimated that the premier raised money that will fund approximately 15 local wishes.

The move centers around the lives of two couples, one (Johnson and Sarandon) a typical all-American family struggling through the unseen forces of the “middle hyears” that threaten to tear the marriage and family apart. The other couple (Daniels and Perkins) experience the foller coaster ups and downs that come with the advent of budding love, yet fearing commitment.

The movie used innovative seasonal segues to carry the viewer into each new chapter in the couples’ lives be it the first frost, Halloween, or Christmas. In keeping with the theme of the movie, the buffet following the premier carried the holiday themes. As guests entered, they were greeted b an elaborate decorating extravaganza. The perimeter of the buffet area was lined with theme stations complete with the appropriate seasonal food and attire. Halloween goblins served ghoulish treats, a yuletide cider complete with a spread of sumptuous sweets could be found to satisty every sweet tooth. There was even a Thanksgiving feast complete with turkey and stuffing and one could find good old applie pie and hamburgers.

Participants were able to meet the stars of the movie, enjoy tastefully prepared food and spirits and dance to music supplied by a disk jockey.

The Make-A-Wish Foundaton of Los Angeles would like to extend our deepest appreciation to Tri-Star Pictures for sponsoring this event, the stars for patricipating, the volunteers for helping to make this event a success and the public for their on-going support.

Below: The Original Make a Wish Brochure

Comment, written by DefinitelyDon!
These words are so perfect and fitting - I simply can not add anything to these words - insofar ...
I will take them also for us

Please note: DJAngel stated that she did not get very good pics of Don at this event. The best pics are from magazines.

I would like to state, and I think you will all agree that although we love to see her photos, her own personal account of her amazing trips are what makes them all so much more interesting, remarkable.....after all, DJAngel IS the only Don Johnson Fan to have achieved what we all dream about and recorded it for us all to enjoy.

Let me write for one HAPPY time more a real big FAT THANK YOU to DJAngel and DJFPonFB we may
share this amazing story!

♪ ♫ When's it gonna stop, DJ ♥ ?
Cause you're keeping me up all night ♪ ♫
  Profile Personal Album  

Post subject: Re: DJAngel attends SWEET HEARTS DANCE Premiere 1988
PostPosted: 20. Nov 2012, 15:57 
Gold
Gold

Sweetheart, I think this is amazing that DJAngel is happy to share these trip stories with our sites. It is a great privilege she is happy to do this.

If it wasn't for her writing everything down shortly after each event over 20 years ago we would not be the lucky recipients of being free to read about her fantastic experiences today.

Such a shame they do not get the acclaim they deserve like some single photos do. :dfbboxen:

PostPosted: 21. Nov 2012, 14:55 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

OH YES ! It is amazing and in a way it is a real GIFT by her to all fans of Don!

At least to me is the wish to meet Don -ONLY FOR ONE TIME- quite overwhelming.
What DJAngel could experience is OVER THE TOP to me.
For sure she has spent a lot of effort, work and money to reach what she could reach.

What is most special to me how DJAngel has accompanied his way - how often she has travelled many miles to watch him doing his job and OF COURSE that Don she and her friends even has KNOWN in a way.

I think many fans would keep these experiences with themselves...
DJAngel does not.
I am most thankful for that!
She shows us pics, tells us scenes and moments which are so very private -
we would never knew about all that without her.

SO.... now we have talked a lot about DJAngel... now I wanna send

A HEARTFELT THANK YOU TO YOU AGAIN, DJAngel!

Your stories are the icing on the cake to every fan by Don ! :girlja: :minnismiliesa47:

♪ ♫ When's it gonna stop, DJ ♥ ?
Cause you're keeping me up all night ♪ ♫
  Profile Personal Album  

PostPosted: 30. Nov 2012, 01:17 
Addicted
Addicted

I am so happy to share with all of Don's fans :girlhuepfen:

PostPosted: 30. Nov 2012, 14:11 
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

You are so right Sweetheart and DefinitelyDon:
what we could reed here - the storys DJAngel wrote - it is more than fantastic!!
Everybody would like to see Don for one time - and she had the luck so often.
And that she share all this with us... it is :dontastic:

And so I would like to say many thanks to DJAngel!!! :blumen:

PostPosted: 30. Nov 2012, 18:24 
WALK OF FAME
WALK OF FAME

To read these trip stories is a great experience! :a007:
Thank you so much DJAngel for sharing with us. :minnismiliesa47:

PostPosted: 2. Dec 2012, 12:13 
WALK OF FAME
WALK OF FAME

DJAngel, thanks for sharing another amazing DJ experience with us. :ball.eyes419:

This would have been so exciting to attend this movie premiere and mingle amongst the stars! :314_midi04:

Don and Babs absolutely ROCKED IT together! :ohja:

Marlee Maitlin is a talented actress and would have been interesting to meet.

"Forget who I am? Darlin', sometimes I remember who I am." (Sonny, Miami Vice)

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]