It is currently 22. Oct 2020, 16:45

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Certain sections of the forum contain exclusive material, only reserved for members:

DON JOHNSON:

INTERVIEWS
FAMIILY MATTERS
HOT CREAM PIES
NEWS
MYSTERY CORNER
LOBBY LOUNGE
MEMBER STORIES

Remember - it is FREE to register!

So, why not jump on board!

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 
AuthorMessage
 Post subject: HEARTBEAT - The Westwood One Interview
PostPosted: 1. Oct 2012, 14:53 
WALK OF FAME
WALK OF FAME

Heartbeat

The Westwood One Interview

With Mary Turner in a special "Heartbeat" edition of "OFF THE RECORD"

DJ: I started as a singer, or, I should say, I first got the bug to be a performer or to be in show business in some way, in the entertainment business, when I was about five years old or six years old and I was singing in my grandfather’s church. He preached in a lot of different church houses; one of them that I remember was called Cave Springs in Missouri. I was a Southern Baptist, you know Pentecostal-type church where people would testify their faith in the Lord. And I would sing the hymns and church songs, like "Rock of Ages" and "Amazing Grace" and "Nearer My God To Thee" and those are the first songs I can remember. And I’m sure that it was during that time — I have a very clear recollection of it being after church, you know, and some of the church folks would come up to me, being six years old, and pinch me on the cheek and give me a quarter, and say (he goes into a Missouri drawl) "Boy, that was pretty sang-in", Donnie," and I’m sure that in that moment I probably said, "Hmmm, love and money (laughs) — yeah, this works real good! I like this!"

(Play cut from "Heartbeat" single)

MT: He’s gone from "Rock of Ages" to "Love Roulette", from the farms of Missouri to the beaches of Miami, from television to radio — Don Johnson. He just finished recording his first album. Want to be the first on your block to hear it, and hear what Mr. Johnson has to say about creating, carousing, and corruption? Then stick around! I’m Mary Taylor, and for the next hour I’ll be talking with Don. It’s a special "Heartbeat" edition of OFF THE RECORD.

What I’d like to do first is sort of set the scenario, because radio’s such a…..

DJ: Such a visual medium? (Laughs)

MT: Exactly. So here we are in Miami….it’s like a quarter to eleven at night, and you’ve been working since seven o’clock in the morning.

DJ: Yeah, that’s right…..

MT: Is that a typical day in your life?

DJ: Ah, no…..today they kind of gave me a break. It’s usually longer. You’re in this constant state of flux and transition —– as if you had jet lag all the time. That’s what most people don’t realize —– the acting part of it is easy. It’s all the other things that come with it that are a…..bit difficult.

MT: How do you do it? You seem so energetic.

DJ: Well, like I told you, you know, you have to live a good clean life and bow to Mecca.

MT: (laughs) Four times daily.

DJ: Yeah, four times daily!

(Play cut from "The Last Sound Love Makes")

MT: The "Heartbeat" Band: Don Johnson, vocals: Mark Leonard, bass; drummer Curly Smith and on guitars and in the producer’s chair, Chas Sandford.

DJ: Chas set up, created the environment for this album to happen, and above and beyond anything else, one of the most important things is creating the environment for the magic to happen —— and he set it up. We went in there….all these tracks, almost 90 or 95 percent of all the tracks on this album are cut live, with live vocals. I would say almost 90-95 per cent.

MT: You’re kidding. That’s amazing.

DJ: Uh-uh. No. There’s a couple fixes here and there, you know...I go back and fix a line or a note that was off pitch some. But by and large all the vocals are live. And for a couple of tracks like "Voice on the Hotline" and "Coco Don’t", we brought in Bill Champlin from the group Chicago, and on a couple of other tracks, of course, we brought in Stevie Ray and Ronnie Wood. And, ah, let’s see….Dweezil Zappa did one of the most amazing and one of my favorite pieces on the record. He did the solo on "The Last Sound Loves Makes" —– guitar solo—– and it’s just extraordinary. In my opinion. And Bonnie Raitt did harmony vocals on "Heartache Away" and "Lost In Your Eyes"….

MT: She’s so great.

DJ: Yeah. Just an...an angel. She’s got a voice like an angel and a mouth like truck driver.

MT: No kidding! She’s a lot of fun.

DJ: (Laughs) She’s just a dear person. I love her to death.

(Play "Lost In Your Eyes")

DJ: At one time, I had Stevie Ray, Whoopi Goldberg, Ronnie Wood, Bonnie Raitt, Dickie Betts, myself, Chas and the band, and, let’s see, who else? Lennie Pickett from the Tower of Power horn section...We were all in the studio at once. And I gotta tell you….for about a week’s time, where we all sort of overlapped. I’m surprised that we got any work done at all, because we laughed —– I would go home in the morning, you know, because we were working really late hours, and my face would hurt. From laughing! And I documented the whole experience on film, made sort of documentary of the making of the record that I’m cutting together now. And we got enormous amounts of work done too. Had just the greatest time and got a whole lot of work done too.

(Play "Star Tonight")

MT: What do you suppose you’de be doing if you weren’t doing this?

DJ: (Long sigh as he thinks) I ‘d probably be in jail. (Laughs) I’m not qualified for anything else, so i would imagine that I’d either be doing something larcenous or I would have already been caught. (Laughs again)

MT: Don Johnson —– caught in the act? No way! The place he’ll be captured is on vinyl! I’m Mary Turner and I’ll be back with more of our "Heartbeat" edition of OFF THE RECORD right after this....

(Station break)

MT: National Geographic, Popular Mechanics, and Computer Software Unlimited...those are the only three magazines in the country that have not featured Don Johnson on their cover over the past two years. Okay, that’s a slight exaggeration, but Don has had a lot of press. By this time, most of us who have ever gone through a supermarket line know that Don Johnson’s acting career started in the late 60’s. But how many of us shoppers know that his musical career started about the same time?

DJ: My father tried to get me to learn the guitar when I was about 10 years old and i picked it up and I fooled around with it, but I just wasn’t motivated. When I was in Mexico making a film called "Zachariah", which was like one of the first "rock videos", way back in 1970—but it was a two hour or 90 minutes feature—and in the film was Joe Walsh, who was in the James Gang at the time, and Country Joe and the Fish, and the New York Rock ‘n’ Roll Ensemble, two old guys named White Light and then Doug Kershaw was in it. And all of us were down in Mexcio making this Western, and music was a part of the Western. I mean, it was rock ’n’ roll set in the Old West. The Firesign Theater had written the script, and because I was a singer and those guys were players we’d all sit around and sing and play. And I remember many a tequila d’-out night with Joe Walsh and Joe McDonald and Bill Simic, who you’ve probably run into at one time or another. I not talking out-of-school on theses guys—anybody that knows ‘em….! (Laughs).

MT: No kidding.

DJ: After I made that picture, I went back to town and I felt this really incredible void in my life, so I went right down on Hollywood Boulevard to one of those pawn shops—I went down there and I bought a $20 Crown gutstring guitar, and I bought a How-To-Play-Guitar book, and I went back to my apartment and I started teaching myself how to play the guitar. And everybody I’d meet, I’d say, "You know how to play? Well, how do you make that B with the thing and the chord… How do you slide, how do you do you do that little slide?" And I pestered the hell out of everybody I ran into until I could play the guitar well enough to write and sing with it. And that’s what I did. What I most of all wanted to do was I wanted to write, because I could hear and feel music going on in me, and I couldn’t get it out. The only way I could get it out was to learn an instrument, because you can’t always depend on a pal being around who can play or a pianist to be there. You can always depend on a guitar.

(Play "Heartache Away")

MT: Were you shooting for being a rock "n" roll star—–was that a goal?

DJ: No, no. I had a jump on being an actor and I was making a living at it. And you can’t really divorce yourself and say: "Well, I’m gonna be an actor now and then I’m gonna go over here and I’m gonna be…". You’ve gotta concentrate. Although I did try, you know. I tried to mix and match the two. I used to go out on the road with the Allman Brothers, and I’d sing with them occasionally. I made my musical debut as a rock ‘n’ roller in Madison Square Gareden on Thanksgiving Eve, in front of 22,000 or 30,000 people, I can’t remember what it was. Wit the Allman Brothers. And Dickie Betts told me—we were hanging out and running together at the time, and raising hell—on the way to the concert, he said, "I’m gonna invite you out to sing "Ramblin Man" with me tonight", and I said "Yeah, right, sure...go tell it to to the Marines, all right?" And so he kind of snickered, and we laughed about it and everything. And then it came time for "Ramblin Man"—and I knew the set, you know, having traveled with them for a few months—and Dicky walks up to the microphone and says "Listen, we’re gonna have a good friend of ours come out here and sing "Ramblin Man" and he says, "Give a warm welcome to Donnie Johnson!" I’m sitting back there and after I jacked my jaw up off the stage floor I said, "Well, if he’d got the balls to call me out, I’ve got the balls to walk out there!" So I mosey on out there, and I’m sure 22,000 people simultaneously went "WHO IN THE HELL IS THAT?" (Laughs) Because I wasn’t exactly what you’d call a household name by any stretch of the imagination at the time. Dicky and I stepped up to the mike and the song starts in the chorus. And so I’m singing along with him "I was born a ramblin’ man<" and we finished the chorus, and I start to step away from the mike to let him do the first verse right? And he taps me on the shoulder, pushes me back up to the mike, and steps away! And the cue was right there, the beat was right there and I gotta be on it. Well, so I stood right there and I sang the first verse—not sure whether I knew the words or not!—and when I finished the first verse I got this HUGE round of applause from the audience, 22,000 or whatever it was. And I’ve gotta tell you, that it was one of the most magical moments of my entire life. It was incredible!

(Play "Can’t Take Your Memory")

MT: A couple of months ago, New Age magazine had this headline: "Drugless in L.A.: Who’s Not Doing What, and Why". Guess who was on the cover? Right! And under this picture was the caption: "Don Johnson: Making Sobriety Sexy". Well, if anybody can do it…! In just a moment, Don talks about mastering monstering….OFF THE RECORD.

(Station break)

MT: I’m Mary Turner, talking with Don Johnson, OFF THE RECORD

(Play "Vice" from the Miami Vice soundtrack album)

MT: I detect an alligator over here.

DJ: That’ s my buddy Elvis.

MT: Elvis on the show—are you friendly with him?

DJ: Well, you can’t really be friendly with something that has not evolved one second since the Mesozoic era, in about a hundred million years. You know, they’re ridiculous. They’re eating machines. It’s not like curling up with a warm teddy bear or something. But I like them for that reason—they’re sort of perfect in that sense. They don’t do anything, they lay around, and they eat.

(Play "Smuggler’s Blues" from the Miami Vice soundtrack album)

MT: So tell me—when you read the first Miami Vice script, was it real obvious to you that it was happening?

DJ: It was to me, but having been in the business as long as I’ve been in the business, you learn to temper your enthusiasm until the work is done, and until you see it, and until it’s actually happening. Everyone else was absolutely, thoroughly, and completely convinced that this was on the air, that it was going to be a hit, that it was this, and it was that… but I was never, ever convinced until it was. And even then I kept expecting at any moment that someone was going to say: "Wake up, Don. Wake up". (Laughs) "Time to go to work! Time to go to look for a job!"

MT: "Welcome to the real world!" (Laughs) But it was difficult for you to get the job because of your reputation that precede you?

DJ: Well, no—it wasn’t my reputation, I mean, because there’s a long, long list of well-known drunks and drug addicts in the business who work regularly. So that wasn’t really the problem. It was the fact that I was a pariah when it came to television series—I’d made five pilots or six pilots or something like that, and none of them had sold. And people in the business will stay with you through a lot of hardship and drugs and alcohol and divorces and insanity and everything else, but you have a failure, pal, and they don’t want to know nothing about you!

(Play "Love Roulette")

MT: Was there any one incident or thing in your life that made you decide to stop "monstering"?

DJ: You know my friend Glenn! (Laughs)

MT: Yeah, I do!

DJ: If there was one thing other than just, for as far as my life was going at that time, I knew that if I didn’t, that I was gonna die. The good Lord had made that very clear to me. But the other very profound thing that happened to me is that after one weekend of some serious monstering—um, I should explain where that term comes from. My buddy Glenn and I call gettin’ down and partyin’ real good "monstering", because you know how your face changes, you know, after you’ve been up for to or three days and your face gets all contorted and stuff when you’re trying to speak? Well, that’s why we call that "monstering". He’s Duane Monsterstone and I’m Wayne Monstertone. (Laughs) The Brothers Monstertone. At any rate, I walked one Monday morning after having had a real good time all weekend, and hadn’t been home...and my son, who was about ten months old at the time, was sitting at the breakfast table, and his mother was feeding him, and I walked in—and of course, he looked up and saw Daddy’s face all monstered out. And I recognized the look in his eye and I said, "Okay, that’s it. Boom. Done. Next".

(Play "Gotta Get Away")

MT: So what else is in the future for you?

DJ: I want to put the band together again, for a live show. We’re gonna do that. I’ve talked to everybody and everybody wants to do it.

MT: You’re going on tour?

DJ: Well, I don’t have time to tour, but I’m going to try and arrange five to ten dates at some point.

MT: When?

DJ: Maybe—now don’t hold me to this—maybe Christmas or towards Christmas, sometime. Because I get a break right around there for VICE—or from VICE, I should say.Maybe we’ll try to do something then. I’m proud of all the songs. Each one of them is so special to me. I’m proud of the whole record. It’s really—–it pleases me, it satisfies me to know that I was a part of that. I’m reminded of that line in "Chariots of Fire" when he says "When I run, I feel the Lord’s pleasure". I feel that way when I sing, or when I act. It’s hard to describe.

(Play "Heartbeat")

OFF THE RECORD, "Heartbeat" edition was written and produced by Marsha Richardson. A special presentation of the Westwood One Radio Network.

source: *** The link is only visible for members, go to login. ***

For more interesting :gif_97_07: ........

:schilder_klick:
1986-heartbeat-f188/billboard-magazine-advertisement-for-heartbeat-album-t1116.html

"Forget who I am? Darlin', sometimes I remember who I am." (Sonny, Miami Vice)

Post subject: Re: HEARTBEAT - The Westwood One Interview
PostPosted: 1. Oct 2012, 16:05 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

:toll: :wahooo: :vthanks: :vthanks:

OG !!! Never read or even heard about this interview!!!!
I have not read :lbk: it yet but... for sure - I WILL DO :meinherz: !!!!

Lol... have had to scream my PLEASURE about that out!
NOW!
IMMEDIATELY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:adancer04: :dancing: :dance_3_6: :freuen1: :laughi:

:88n: :boys_0126: :tanzen4: :funky: !!!

♪ ♫ When's it gonna stop, DJ ♥ ?
Cause you're keeping me up all night ♪ ♫
  Profile Personal Album  

PostPosted: 1. Oct 2012, 21:18 
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

OMG!!! Thank you so much Vice Kitty!! :blustrau:
Like Sweetheart I never read this interview before!!!
:313_midi04: :a007:

PostPosted: 1. Oct 2012, 23:06 
Insider
Insider

Thankyou so much Vice Kitty for posting this interview. What a great read it is, I wish we could hear Don sing now. I'm sure he can still charm the ladies with his wonderful voice but I believe he sings just for his family now.

:thanks-schilder: :fantastic:

Vice Kitty, your a star :allgood:

PostPosted: 7. Oct 2012, 15:18 
Rookie
Rookie

Cool interview!

PostPosted: 8. Oct 2012, 09:52 
Platinum
Platinum

:donlicious: Thank you so much Vice Kitty. :2_girlie2_1: . It was very nice to read it. :67mxfrl:

PostPosted: 9. Oct 2012, 03:34 
WALK OF FAME
WALK OF FAME

lilgirl73 wrote:
Cool interview!

Hello lilgirl73! :welcomeir3:

I agree, it was a really cool interview. :minicool: Don was really relaxed and forthcoming with his answers.

Do you have any favourite songs of Don's? :bb:

PostPosted: 12. Nov 2012, 21:11 
Junior
Junior

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this site, but have been a member of many other Miami Vice sites for many years. I posted the actual audio interview on www.thebox.com in June, 2011. You may need to register to access it, but it's a free, 10 part interview. You can access it here:

*** The link is only visible for members, go to login. ***

PostPosted: 12. Nov 2012, 21:59 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

mvnyc wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this site, but have been a member of many other Miami Vice sites for many years. I posted the actual audio interview on *** The link is only visible for members, go to login. *** in June, 2011. You may need to register to access it, but it's a free, 10 part interview. You can access it here:

:welc2: mvnyc !
Nice to meet you with us also!
I know you very well by MV online. I am bluepearl in that forum.

I am really thrilled :augenreib: :drehstuhl: by your words about that interview.
I have tried to check your links out.
With the first one I went straight to a shopping webpage about packaging material :kichern:
and the second link it not available to me although I have a box registry.
I get the message :
THE ITEM YOU ARE SEARCHING FOR IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR YOU.

Hmm... problem...
NOW I AM CURIOUS LIKE HELL !!!
Any idea or HELP to cool me down :dfbgirliezwinkern: .

Would you also send the interview at mediafire or my email if the data is not too big ?

Profile Personal Album  

PostPosted: 13. Nov 2012, 14:58 
Junior
Junior

Hi Blue Pearl,

Nice to see you over here as well. As for the files, maybe accessing the website homepage would be best:

They are definitely on there, try searching for "Don Johnson - Off The Record" when you get on the site, hopefully that will work.

PostPosted: 13. Nov 2012, 15:00 
Junior
Junior

Well, forget my above two posts, for some reason when trying to access the link form this site, it goes some where else. Try accessing it from just your browser outside this site, hopefully that will work.

PostPosted: 14. Nov 2012, 04:36 
WALK OF FAME
WALK OF FAME

mvnyc wrote:
Well, forget my above two posts, for some reason when trying to access the link form this site, it goes some where else. Try accessing it from just your browser outside this site, hopefully that will work.

Thank you very much for your efforts, mvnyc! :minnismiliesa47:

A while ago, I actually listened to the entire broadcast you posted, over on the MV site

(my username is 'juscat' there :dfbgirliezwinkern: ).

:toll: what a FANTASTIC interview and bunch of songs that were played. :judges:

I think it's one of Don's best interviews and I highly recommend this to members, if they can search this one out. :detective:

PostPosted: 14. Nov 2012, 11:04 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

mvnyc wrote:

It is very nice you have visit us shortly by time again so you could read which problems I have had.

Okay... I have now also tried to use your links with even a different browser.
The result is the same. I have no chance.

I have also tried to open an offered similar link which is called:
*** The link is only visible for members, go to login. *** (have tried because the last three letters are also in your nickname :dfbgirliezwinkern: )

OH BOY !!
That was a :hallo4: :hal6: :huibuh: :hal7: spooky website.
I have waved to register there :geist: :geist: :geist: :ohman:

Vice Kitty wrote:
:toll: what a FANTASTIC interview and bunch of songs that were played. :judges:

Now I am coming closer to the mystery...
Thank you Vice Kitty!
That shall means - there are also songs by Don TO HEAR :ear: ??????

Then the riddle is solved.
We Germans have all over in internet NO CHANCE to open any links, datas, videos or similar in which
one can listen to Don's music. All is banned because of SONY copyrights.

Btw.... they just have started to ban Germany against all clips out of MV....
I COULD :kotz2: !!! :dfbboxen:
It will take not long and we Germans will get with MV videos at YT only a black monitor.
Insofar members...
save with you what you want to save. It is no longer the time the say *TOMORROW* - for sure not!

Vice Kitty wrote:
I think it's one of Don's best interviews and I highly recommend this to members, if they can search this one out. :detective:

That makes my curiosity only MUCH WORSER !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tr18: :tr18:

Profile Personal Album  

PostPosted: 14. Nov 2012, 12:31 
WALK OF FAME
WALK OF FAME

Sweetheart wrote:
Now I am coming closer to the mystery...
Thank you Vice Kitty!
That shall means - there are also songs by Don TO HEAR :ear: ??????

Then the riddle is solved.
We Germans have all over in internet NO CHANCE to open any links, datas, videos or similar in which
one can listen to Don's music. All is banned because of SONY copyrights.

Btw.... they just have started to ban Germany against all clips out of MV....
I COULD :kotz2: !!! :dfbboxen:
It will take not long and we Germans will get with MV videos at YT only a black monitor.
Insofar members...
save with you what you want to save. It is no longer the time the say *TOMORROW* - for sure not!

I'm glad if I've been able to 'indirectly' help you solve this riddle! :hmmg:

Oh geez this sux for you German members! [smilie=ball.eyes035.gif] How annoying and frustrating! :dash1:

Sweetheart wrote:
That makes my curiosity only MUCH WORSER !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tr18: :tr18:

Perhaps trying the link on the MV site, might be different? :girlgruebeln:

PostPosted: 14. Nov 2012, 13:41 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Vice Kitty wrote:
Perhaps trying the link on the MV site, might be different? :girlgruebeln:

THAT I have done.
TOTALLY DIFFERENT !!

Here are the results of the German search (with a big big kind Canadian help :dfbgirliezwinkern: :dfbgirliezwinkern: !)

THIS link works perfect - at least to me !

THANKS A LOT mvnyc for sharing this great issue with the DJ forum!!!!

Profile Personal Album  

PostPosted: 14. Aug 2015, 03:45 
Insider
Insider

I thought I had read all of Don's old interviews! This was a nice discovery :) Thanks for sharing!

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ]